2018 is over the halfway mark, so I dug back into the archives to see how I've been doing with the goals I set for myself way back in January. This is what I've found:
1. Getting another tattoo. Still hasn't happened yet... I know what I want. I just need to save some ducats and then make an appointment to go get it.
2. Finishing my Year of Books: This year of books thing might stretched into 2019 at this rate. I'm fighting my way through Gravity's Rainbow and I've got a couple of other of these on deck or ready to by read. Progress is being made, books are being read, but this specific list might elude me for another year, but we'll see.
The Book of the New Sun, Gene Wolfe
Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon
Catch-22, Joseph Heller
Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel
War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
Ulysses, James Joyce
Use of Weapons, Iain M. Banks
3. This is my Year of Health. As usual my health goals start strong and fade as the year goes on. For the back half of the year, I think 24 form Tai Chi is within my grasp. I can (with some discipline) do Kettlebell at least once a week and with some luck and some more training, hopefully I'll be in good enough shape to do a day of RAGBRAI at the end of the moth. (In lieu of the 5K- which I still want to do, but... let's go for one achievable thing at a time, shall we.)
Ugh... the BMI thing? I don't really have a target weight... I just want to be able to see my feet and I can still do that. Do I need a target weight? I probably should aim for one, but it just... doesn't bother me enough.
-Learn and master 24 form Tai Chi
-Kettlebell (a full routine) at least once a week
-Train for and specifically run a 5k
-I'm not a huge fan of BMI as an indicator of health, but I'd like to be closer to make ideal BMI than further away from it.
4. Up my writing game. I'm not precisely sure what this means, but for the back half of the year I want to get my current books sorted out and promoted a bit better, get my third book into revisions so I can get that out there next year and play around with ideas for a fourth and fifth book (and a sixth and seventh book after that...) So, I've got books in me and I'm working on getting them out. I guess this counts?
5. House projects. I still want to get our deck stained and get a new back splash in. The sink and the built-in bookshelf? Those might have to wait awhile. And we skipped the raised bed for a nice collection of pots for our garden. So two out of four isn't bad, assuming we can get those two done.
-Staining our deck
-Building a raised bed so we can start a garden
-constructing a built-in bookshelf in the house so we can consolidate all our books into one place
-Getting a farmhouse sink for our kitchen
-putting a new back splash in the kitchen
There's 184 days left in 2018. Still plenty left to accomplish!